Source: Milk Calendar
Ingredients:
1 cup (250 ml) dried red lentils
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) reduced-sodium vegetable broth
1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
1 chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp (30 ml) minced gingerroot
2 tbsp (30 ml) Indian yellow curry paste or
powder
8
|
1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
1/4 tsp (1 ml) pepper
3 cups (750 ml) chopped peeled butternut squash, about 1 lb/500 g
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) milk
1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped fresh cilantro or
green onions
Garam masala
Optional:
cumin, coriander seeds, 1 minced fresh hot pepper |
Directions:
| 1. | Place lentils in a fine sieve and pick through to remove any stones or grit. Rinse well and drain; stir into broth and set aside. |
| 2. | In a large, deep saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; sauté onion for 3 min or until starting to soften. Add garlic, ginger, curry paste (to taste), salt and pepper; sauté for 2 min or until softened. Add lentils in broth, squash and milk. Bring to a simmer, stirring often. |
| 3. | Cover, leaving lid ajar, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 25 min or until squash and lentils are soft and tender. Remove from heat and mash lightly with a potato masher. Sprinkle with cilantro and garam masala (if using). Serve with papadum, basmati rice, or naan. |
Explanation
This recipe was such a surprise. For some reason my mom thought it sounded good (I was skeptical) but she has been trying to find vegetarian dishes to add to our regular meals because we do have a tendency to eat a lot of meat. But really? Butternut squash in a curry? I haven't found a squash recipe that I have actually enjoyed, eaten yes, not really enjoyed so my mom made it when my Dad and brother were not around for dinner, and it was WHOA this is awesome! Though I have to say I don't think it would have been as good without the cumin, coriander and the hot pepper. The second batch we made was hot! And oh so awesome. I wish I had a picture but it basically looks like brown mush so it's not like it would be attractive :)But I have to say it is definitely something worth trying out at least once. Just remember to add a hot pepper (I was using a fresh jalapeno).
I'm so excited to make this soon, and keep eyeing the butternut squash at Fortino's! I'm waiting until I learn how to make naan and then going to have it together...mmm!
ReplyDeleteI learned how to make paratha last Sunday! I'm making this and it tonight! :)
ReplyDelete